December 27, 2012
Quentin Tarantino and PT Anderson Talk Their Next Oscar-Winning Films
Two of the best-reviewed films of the year were Django Unchained and The Master, and now the directors behind them – Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson – have revealed what their potential follow-ups could be.
First up is Quentin Tarantino, whose Django Unchained just hit theaters to very positive reviews. Tarantino has ruffled feathers doing the press rounds for the movie, most recently saying he hates John Ford. But the biggest news has taken a backseat to the Tarantino/Ford controversy, and it’s that Tarantino has revealed a movie he might make next. Speaking to Henry Louis Gates Jr at The Root, Tarantino had this to say.
“There’s something about this that would suggest a trilogy. My original idea for Inglourious Basterds way back when was that this [would be] a huge story that included the [smaller] story that you saw in the film, but also followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f–ked over by the American military and kind of go apes–t. They basically — the way Lt. Aldo Raines and the Basterds are having an “Apache resistance” — [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland… I was going to do it as a miniseries, and that was going to be one of the big storylines. When I decided to try to turn it into a movie, that was a section I had to take out to help tame my material. I have most of that written. It’s ready to go; I just have to write the second half of it… That would be the third of the trilogy. It would be [connected to] Inglourious Basterds, too, because Inglourious Basterds are in it, but it is about the soldiers. It would be called Killer Crow or something like that.”
Tarantino, who had previously taken his time inbetween movies, only waited three years before releasing Django Unchained, and seems to be sticking to that quickened pace. However, Killer Crow will likely come after the 1930’s gangster-film Tarantino has talked up. Still, it’s nice to see Tarantino has his next two movies planned and that he’ll hopefully make them soon.
Moving from one great director to another, Paul Thomas Anderson has continued to talk about his adaptation of Inherent Vice, which he now says could film in 2013. In an interview with the New York Times (via Collider), Anderson spoke about liberally adapting from the book.
While There Will Be Blood was inspired by Upton Sinclair’s Oil!, this will be a more faithful adaptation — and a new kind of screenwriting challenge — for Mr. Anderson. “It’s more secretarial,” he said. “The credit should be like ‘secretary to the author.’ ” He added that he has “a large stack of pages” and hopes to shoot next year. “But it’s no less fun. In some ways it’s just what the doctor ordered right now for me: being more selfless.”
Anderson has also taken his time inbetween movies, so him filming Inherent Vice next year, meaning a probable 2014 release date, would be his quickest turn around since Boogie Nights in 1997 and Magnolia in 1999. As for a star, Robert Downey Jr. was originally attached, and despite his blockbuster-only phase recently, could very will still do it. But besides the fact that Anderson is currently writing it, nothing is definite as of now.
Even though you can’t see the future films of either one of these filmmakers for a couple of years, you can – and should – see their current works. Django Unchained is in theaters now, and The Master should hit video early next year.